As I mentioned recently I have been experimenting with some stretch material I was given to see if I could create some simple Barbie outfits that didn’t require too much fancy sewing. The last lot of dolls clothes I made were for the dolls I donated to the church and the main requirement was that they should be easy for the children to put on and off the dolls. However they were rather bulky and the ones for my own dolls to fit better.
My model was my Aviator Barbie, Midge who as you know is one of my favourites. She is a very slim doll so I thought that I’d make her some clothes that fit her snugly as they will probably be a good fit on the Fashionista’s as well. I had some blue, brown and beige scraps as well as the black I’d used for Rosie O’Donnell’s dress. I am not a big fan of brown and usually only put it on red heads but I thought it would be something different to work with and if I messed it up it wouldn’t matter. Rather than use an existing pattern I decided just to make simple shapes like tubes for a skirt and top. For the beige top I put some darts in to give it some shape and then added a front seam. As for Rosie’s dress I tacked everything together first. I’m hopeless with pins anyway, I’m always dropping them or stabbing myself with them so I just pin the pieces together roughly while I tack them on small garments like these. For another top I took a strip of material and wrapped it round Midge and then pinned and tacked it in place while it was still on her. I wouldn’t be game to do that to a person!
Anyway, here are the results. Midge was taken outside for some sun while I photographed her but minus shoes for obvious reasons. I quite like her in the brown and it is a nice soft fabric. I have a few more things ready to be sewn up so I may do another post about these later on.