A couple of weeks ago my sister and I spent the afternoon together. The plan had been to have lunch then visit my husband in hospital but he called to say that he was being taken for a scan in the afternoon and would not be in his room. As we now had some time in hand we decided to visit the Glenorchy Tip Shop. Tip shops are shops attached to council dumps where you can buy recycled goods. A lot of it is junk but sometimes you can find some good things. I don’t usually bother with Barbies from this sort of shop as they are usually not remarkable and we consider a lot of them overpriced. On this day we saw the usual collection of naked clone dolls and blonde Barbies with chewed limbs and tangled hair. One caught my eye though. She had black hair and a pretty face. I picked her up. She had a few ink marks on her body and her hair was badly tangled but I liked her. I said to my sister. “I bet I could fix this one.” she said “Why don’t you get her? She’s only $2.20.” That’s cheap for here, used Barbies are rarely under $4 which is another reason I don’t usually buy them. I decided that I would. She’d make a good project to do while I was home on my own. Here she is as she was when I found her.
I wasn’t able to start my rehab project right away due to Hubby’s health issues but while waiting for things to settle down a bit I combed out the worst tangles in her hair. I find detangling dolls hair is good therapy when you are feeling stressed. I also gave her a quick wipe down with 911 as I didn’t know where she’d been before the Tip Shop.
A few days later I started treating her stained leg with Remove-Zit. So far it’s not making much difference. My Remove-Zit is nearly a year old now and may be past its best but I will keep reapplying it every few days. It worked well on my vintage Barbie two months ago. In between applications I washed the doll’s hair.
I’ve also been trying to research who this doll might be. She has one of the Fashion Fever bodies. She has the Summer face but her hair is black like Raquelle with some auburn/red streaks and bangs. Her earrings were broken but the one stud that remained was mauve.
I thought that it would not be too hard to identify her. It took me longer than I expected but after a couple of hours of looking at pictures of Barbies online I’ve cracked it. The Barbie Diaries Courtney 2006. Here is a link to a nice photo of her on Flickr. I think that mine may have had a hair cut too as her hair is nowhere near this long.
On another evening I redid Courtney’s hair into bunches and neatened it up a bit. Now all she needed was a new outfit. I haven’t done much knitting lately either. It’s been very hard to concentrate on knitting and I haven’t done anywhere near as much as I planned over the summer. So for now Courtney, or Robyn as she told me she would like to be called, is wearing a dress from my stash of Barbie clothes. As you can see the ink has not faded from her leg yet but I thought that rather than wait the weeks it might take I’d show her off now. Later I’ll find her some earrings. I know I have some stored away.
I think that she has scrubbed up quite well for a doll who nearly ended up at the dump.