- Warning, there is doll nudity in this post
Here are the rest of the Barbies that I brought home from the Op Shop. I am lucky with this lot as except for one there are no marks to remove from their faces and most still have their hair. One latecomer arrived after after I’d taken the others home. She’s had a trim and her fringe is gone so I’ll have a think about how I want to fix her. I’ve put her aside for now. These dolls are always handy for people who like to experiment. She could be a subject for a reroot. I have only done that once and I found it quite difficult pushing the needle through but now there are tools to help with that I might have another go. One of my co workers at the Op Shop mentioned that she had seen some dolls rerooted with wool. I have seen this myself and while I personally wouldn’t want one it might be a good project to try on a damaged doll. Little kids might like it. When I get a damaged doll now I put her to one side and if she’s too hard to fix I’ll use her to experiment with. Dolls like this are handy for head transplants, reroots and boil perms which I am not confident with yet.
One of the others which I originally thought was a Swappin’ Head Fashionista turned out to be a Barbie on a pivotal body. I’ve been wanting one of those myself so I’m torn between buying her myself or swapping her body with a non articulated Fashionista if I have one in the right skin tone. I’ll let you know what I decide. On closer inspection I found that her knees were loose and she couldn’t stand but there is a way to fix that too. YouTube is very handy for finding tips and tricks. I used some super glue in the knee joints. You have to keep moving the joint so that it doesn’t lock the knee up but it worked fine. I just have to scrape a little residue off her leg. Apparently clear nail varnish will also do the trick but it takes a little longer to dry. I didn’t have any so I used some cheap gel glue. I gave her hair a wash first and when it was nearly dry I did her knees. I will style her hair later.
Some of the dolls have belly button bodies but others are articulated. Everyone has rather dull, frizzy hair. Naomi has some plans to try dyeing doll hair so she may take some of these dolls home to practice on. If they come back with green and purple hair I’ll make them some matching outfits. One is an African American doll with wild curly hair. I want to see if I can sort this out without losing her curls. I’ve watched a few hair restoring tutorials on YouTube so this doll is being put aside for later as she will be a more complicated job than the straight-haired blonde Barbies.
There is also a My Scene doll. She has auburn hair so I think that she is Chelsea. (I do wish Mattel would stop reusing names on different dolls. It is so confusing.) She did not need a lot done to her so here you can see her before and after photos. As you know I don’t usually put shoes on dolls for the Op Shop but I happened to have some boots that fit her well so I put them on her and bagged her with a change of outfit and some accessories. I am quite pleased with how she came out after just a bath, hair wash and conditioning and a new outfit.
This dark-haired doll is very pretty. I liked her so much I went looking to see if I could find out who she is. I think that she is a Candy Glam Raquelle from 2008. I have seen some photos that look just like her while others show a different colour streak in her hair. This one might be a foreign edition doll as we usually get those in Australia. Anyway I think she is very nice.
I spent quite a lot of the day today washing and tidying dolls. As well as the knee joint repair I washed the hair of all the blonde dolls and gave them all a boil wash afterwards. I also fixed a couple of Bratz dolls who came in later so I will show you the rest another day.