As well as having a second Positively Perfect doll to fix the hair on I also brought home another doll last week with serious paint issues.
Here she is as she was when I found her. I wasn’t sure what type of paint had been used on her but I could see she was going to take a lot of work to get clean. I started off with Fairy Platinum dishwashing liquid and as I didn’t have a soft scrubber on hand I used a Norwex vegetable washing cloth. It has a slightly abrasive surface on one side and I usually use it for washing brushed potatoes. I’d washed it recently so it was fine for doll cleaning and did a good job of removing quite a lot of the red stuff on her face. I followed up with bicarbonate of soda and scrubbing the stains with an old toothbrush. Scrubbing did remove a lot of the paint on her face but she still had red teeth and there were also the pen marks on her torso. I’ve had success getting biro marks off with acne cream so I slathered the remaining stains with Oxy 5 and covered them with cling wrap and sat her on a sunny windowsill. It took several days but most of the stains came off. I haven’t managed to shift the ones on her panties yet but I’m not really bothered about that.
After I cleaned the Oxy 5 off her I washed and conditioned her hair. It wasn’t really tangled but it had been given a trim. She’d lost part of her fringe and it was very uneven at the back. I trimmed the back to be more even and did my best to disguise the mess at the front with a wispy fringe. I think that by the look of her she is another Disney Princess Ariel. We seem to get these thirteen-inch Disney dolls pretty often. I don’t have a suitable dress for her so the next job is probably going to be to make something for her.
I haven’t done doll sewing in a long time but I think I need to get back to it so I’ll plan a session to make some simple things like skirts and tops and see where we go from there.