One of my current projects involves Marty, Naomi’s Twilight Carlisle Cullen. When we were unpacking the guys from their tub Naomi found that Marty’s black shirt had left dye stains on his arms.
I hoped that the stains would wash off but after washing him in Fairy, our Dawn equivalent, and scrubbing the stains with bicarb soda on an old toothbrush they had barely faded. So Marty had to get the Oxy 5 treatment. For those of you who are not familiar with it, Oxy 5 is acne cream. The main ingredient in acne cream is Benzoyl Peroxide so any cream or lotion with that as the main ingredient should work the same way. Oxy 5 is a milder version of it than the Oxy 10 I have used in the past but was all I could get at the time.
This treatment is not a whole lot of fun for poor Marty as it involves having to stand in a sunny window wearing nothing but Oxy 5 and plastic wrap on his arms. Not ideal for a Vampire. Luckily it is only on his arms so I wrapped him in a face washer and covered his head so that he would not get too much exposure.
After 5 days I could see that the marks had started to fade but this looked like being a long slow job. In the meantime I will wash his shirt and in future we’ll make sure that anyone going into long term storage is checked more regularly or goes in nude. I have had this happen to me with dolls as well. Once with a red dress that came on a playline doll and left stains on whoever wore it and another time with a pair of blue boots on a Candi doll. It’s something you always have to be aware of, especially with stored dolls.
It is now several weeks since Marty’s treatment began and I’m quite pleased with the results so far. I have changed the cream on his arms at least three times since the first lot went on in late June.. All that are left are some faint markings on his upper arms and I am hopeful that one last treatment may take care of that.
As Oxy 5 is not as strong as Oxy 10 it is possible that if I had that or something designed for doll cleaning like Remove-Zit it might not have taken as long to get to this point.
Some people prefer not to expose dolls to sunlight at all and I’d certainly recommend being cautious and covering up other parts of the doll if you are going to do that. I always do like to put the dolls in a sunny spot inside or outside. I’ve done it a lot with Op Shop dolls with no ill effects but I wouldn’t with a fragile old doll or one that would be hard to replace. I have read that you can still get good results leaving the doll in a darker spot but it does take longer. I think the key to success with stain removal is patience.
If I can get Marty’s stains to fade any more I will post an update.