One of the dolls that I have to make an outfit for is this doll marked Lorrie, made in Hong Kong. As you can see she has a serious hair problem.
Apart from the plugs that have been cut her hair is very dull and coarse. I’m going to try a few things out because I really can’t make it worse than it is. If I can’t do anything to improve it I’ll cut it short and make her a hat. Eventually I may look at a wig for her. I don’t want to ditch her because apart from a scratch on her body she’ s not in bad shape.
My first task was to wash and condition her hair. It didn’t really come up looking a lot better. I decided to risk a boiI wash. I hope to use some of the plugs around the crown of her head to create a new fringe but I’m not sure if that is going to work. I have pinned it in place and wrapped an elastic bandage around her head to keep it in place.
Another thing that I might try is the baby oil treatment. I did do that once on Snoozy Thumbelina although she didn’t need it that badly. This girl really does. One article I read about restoring bad hair said that there are some dolls from the 1970s mainly that you just can’t fix, the type of fibre the hair is made from gets very dry and frizzy and there is not much that can be done about it. I hope that she is not one of those but my guess is that she was made in the late 60s or early 70s.
I’ve been trying to find out a bit more about Lorrie dolls. They were made in Hong Kong in the 60s and 70s and they had a big range of dolls from small drink and wet babies to large Patty Playpal sized walkers.
Two Days Later:
Lori, that’s what I’m calling her, had two baby oil treatments. The first time I left it on for a short time then washed it out and wrapped her head. The second one I ended up leaving on overnight and part of today. I hadn’t intended to do that but I’d just oiled her hair when Naomi wanted to put Toby into the bathroom. (We have to have the dogs in the living room at different times because Cindy is a bit aggressive with small dogs now she’s older and the two little dogs are scared of big dogs.) Anyway, I decided that the longer soak in oil would not hurt Lori and might even be good for her. I unwrapped her a little while ago and took the following photos before washing her hair again. This time I conditioned it with fabric softener as suggested in the video. Then I oiled it again and re-wrapped her. She’s standing in a sunny window now and I will leave her until tomorrow.
The articles that I’ve read about using baby oil suggest using a few drops and I admit I used a lot more. It’s really awful hair and as I said I doubted that I could really make it much worse. I poured some on, maybe a tablespoon full, I didn’t measure and combed it through the same way I do conditioner.
I did think that her hair looked a bit more shiny and seemed a bit easier to comb out so I will keep going with the treatment. Unfortunately the haircut is so bad I doubt that I’ll be able to completely cover her missing plugs so I have started knitting her a hat.
In my next post about Lori I’ll give you an update on the hair situation and show you what I am planning to make for her to wear.